the shortbus

we all rode the shortbus to school; this is why.

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

poem for a rainy day

when it's too hot outside, and too sunny
(and it can be too sunny, so sunny it hurts your eyes,
even to look down at the ground),
when it's too hot, and it can hardly ever be too hot
when the clouds cover up the sun or if it's raining,
it's those days that i like to stay indoors,
and lay there on the tile floor, face up,
sometimes with my shirt pulled up to about where my third rib is,
just to have some more flesh exposed,
to feel the coolness of that dirty floor.
but on rainy days i'd rather go outside,
and feel the weather, not just look at it through the windows.
i'd rather know how fat those drops are, and feel
them through my hair, and i'd like to kick
at puddles, watch them break apart and scatter, then run back
to where i stand, watch the watertry to take back the space
my shoes have stolen. i want to have cold water running
off the ends of my fingertips, and clinging to my nose before
it drops off. i want to know that nature appreciates
my presence and actively aims to soak me as it soaks
everything else. i don't want to be shown any mercy.
those are the days i like to go outside.
i want to feel whole in the rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home